Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The One Where Steve Changed My Life

When I was a young mother, only twenty-one years old, Steve Jobs changed my life. He made it possible for me to quit my full-time job as a legal secretary and stay home with my babies. This was my computer:


Don’t laugh... it was a magical time for personal computing. I rode the leading edge of what was lovingly named “desktop publishing.” Over the next eight years, while raising five small boys and trying to keep my house in one piece, I worked hours every day and night, setting type and designing graphics for individuals, small businesses, and even the Irvine Company, which was, and is, quite large in Orange County.

I learned a lot of things. I learned to work well with men. In fact, one day Donny Osmond came to my little apartment and met with me about typesetting his fan club newsletter! (I know, weird fact, right?) I learned that when a two-year-old puts multiple floppy disks into a computer disk drive, that the disk drive must then be replaced. I learned that I was a hard worker, and if that I had to, I could pull all-nighters and finish a job in order to feed my family. I learned that there were few people who shared that work ethic, and that I could not duplicate myself... no matter how hard I tried to find motivated individuals who wanted to make extra money, they would likely not pull an all-nighter, even if it meant making a few hundred dollars in a night that would help make ends meet for their own family! Those years of crazy hard work at a young age helped to make me a very strong, independent and entrepeneurial person, and made me realize that I never want to work for someone besides myself. I learned that I could always think of a way to earn money when it was necessary.

I also learned that I love the written word. I actually enjoyed setting type on the computer and I love fonts and typefaces of all kinds. I haven’t been a typesetter in many years, but I still love those beautiful letters. I have been working today on the typography for the CD cover. Here are some of the ideas I came up with. I can’t wait until you see the artwork that my friend Claudine is creating (think European stone angels!) but as you can see from these samples, there is also art in the words. Which do you like?







3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Donny Osmond? Wow!
I had such a crush on him when I was in junior high.

I totally love your first computer.
I remember those.

Ya, Steve Jobs should have won the Nobel.

Cindy said...

I like one and two. Yes, you are amazing! I think you are talented at just about everything you do!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I remember, before personal computers, we had a gigantic Word Perfect machine that was set up in my shorthand class. Boy, I sure wish I had been interested in learing that! Especially since I don't remember a single thing about stenography... And years before that, my dad worked at Techtronics in Beaverton, Oregon, where they worked dilegently to make computers that were smaller that my Master bedroom! MY oh my how things have improved, technologically speaking!