Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The One About the Friends

This has been one of those days where I don’t know quite what to think, or quite what to do. What do you do the day before your son comes home from a two-year mission? Clean and go crazy? Well… first I worked to mail out a bunch more CDs. Then I tried to organize some new guest blog posts and managed to have a misunderstanding with a friend. Good times. Then I went to a Christmas dinner and instead of sitting with the ladies, I sat with the young people who were the entertainment. And they were very entertaining. They counted how many times people came up to me and asked when Casey is coming home (Wednesday at noon, in case you wanted to ask) and how many then followed up with the million dollar question: Are you excited? Haha! I think they stopped counting after about 30. Then my daughter-in-law showed up with Jif, which is always the best. We went home, with Jessi riding in the back seat next to Jif atop a layer of wheat (no, seriously… don’t even ask…) and made pizzookies. More friends came over and we ate the pizzookies and played a humiliating couple rounds of a dice game called Chicken until after midnight. All in all, the day was about friends. A little sour, a little sweet. Maybe every day is really about friends.

Over the past while, friends have done a lot of things for me. One friend brought flowers and planted my front yard so that it would be beautiful when Casey comes home. One brings Skippy home from school for me several days a week. A couple of my friends bring me frozen yogurt on their way home from work, and sit to talk for awhile. One friend encouraged me all year long on my CD project, even when I told her to shut up because I wasn’t doing it anymore (several times). One listened to the master CD about five times straight the last week of the project (when friends seemed in short supply and no one else seemed to have time for me!) to try to help me find things to fix. One friend talks me down when I get too stressed, and reminds me not to listen to people when they are making me crazy (which happens more often than I care to admit). My sons and daughter-in-law, who are the best friends anyone could ask for, all pitched in to get me ready for my CD party, and it was like having a housekeeper, a decorator and a chef all show up at my door just at the right time. One amazing friend even catered that party for me!

I am definitely not worth so much trouble. What are the best things that friends do for you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a great friend who sends me presents in the mail :)

My other favorite friend works out with me at the gym. I've never had a work out buddy before! I goes so much faster with her there!

Jamie said...

My friends love me for who I am. I don't have to pretend I'm somebody I'm not around them.

We were admiring Jif's cuteness last night!

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

I have a friend who listens to me ramble, goes to a horrible restaurant for breakfast, and usually makes me cry laughing about once a week. She also has poisoned me for Christmas music that isn't her own--I think this is a blessing. She also gives really good advice.

Elaine said...

Wow...you have some AMAZING friends! Don't let them run away! ;)

And woo!!! Hope you are enjoying a great reunion with your son!!!! Soo exciting!!!!


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Mind if I follow your journey?? There is a very positive spirit about how you write.

You have a son coming home. Congratulations on his honorable service. I am sending two of my boys off to missions before next summer 2010. I'm nervous and excited. Check us out sometime.

May

alpinekleins said...

Big day tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you and dreaming about precious missionary homecoming reunions! I hope you have a wonderful day! Yes, good friends are a treasure of my heart. Don't know where I'd be without mine . . .

((here's a hug from one :))

Kristin

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

Where is the "One About Casey"

Cranberryfries said...

Oh good friends make life so much happier. I'm glad there have been a handful there to help out. One thing about bloggy friends is that geographically you can only do so much sometimes. How'd the CD party go, did I miss something or is this the first mention of it here? Hope you're having a fabulous week!!

Amy said...

Thanks Victoria, because one of those CD's is for me YAY!!

Good Friends show up on your doorstep, in the rain, at 8:30am to help you get your 2 kids (under 3) ready for church while your husband is spending his 3rd week in the hospital. (meanwhile she should be home getting her own family ready for church.) The best part about it was that I had prayed for help the night before. I was so tired and pregnant with my 3rd baby, working full time, and she came unannounced. She always seemed to be there when I needed someone the most. She truly listened to the promptings of the Spirit.That good friend happens to be a sister in law. Another good friend leaves her own family in Anaheim 3 days a week and spends the night at my house and babysits my 2 kids while I worked and my husband tries to recover from kidney failure.
Another great friend always has the right thing to say to help me through....
OK this is getting too long. I am so grateful for the great people in my life. They make the good times good and the bad times better.