Sunday, February 8, 2009

The One Where She Prefers it Remain a Mystery

You know, there are things that I would prefer remain a mystery. I have six sons, and I don’t know how to tie a tie. And I’m okay with that. I like how they take the bunny around the tree and down the hole, or whatever that is, and come up with the perfect knot, with the point just touching the top of their belt. It is one of those things I just don’t have to understand to appreciate. I don’t want to know how the internet works. I am content to revel in the magical mystery. Thanks, Al Gore. You’re a genius.

On the way home from church today, Skippy asked me how babies come out of a mommy’s tummy. He is no doubt contemplating how his ten-pound nephew could be in Jessi’s tummy, and now, so inexplicably, out. I must confess, I had no desire whatsoever to explain it to him. So I told him, well buddy, that is a mystery you will solve at a later date. How about some ice cream? Awesome. Oh, and I recently had a friend tell me that her husband was uncircumcised. Again, I would have preferred that one to remain a mystery. Seriously…I could have died happy, never knowing that.

I have a couple of boys in my house (the missionary ones) who are trying, for 21 days, to go without sugar and caffeine, and to exercise every day. I am happy they are doing it, and equally happy that I am not. But in my house, trying to go without sugar is kind of like torture. There is a particular smell in my house… a friend describes it as boynip. It could be described as fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies with undertones of homemade bread and bacon. See? Boynip. So yesterday, I made banana bread. I handed a warm slice to one of the boys who is not on the 21-day plan. I told the other, sorry, none for you. He was crushed. Why not? Because you aren’t eating sugar, right? Come on, he begs…there’s not much sugar in banana bread, right? Right?

Okay, Elder Murray, let’s just say that it would be better for that to remain a mystery. It’s bread. And fruit. How bad can that be? Have a slice.

In case you want to make the banana bread, here is my favorite:

Monkey Squares... with a variation to make super moist banana bread

7 comments:

Jessica said...

The following quote by Shrek applies well to Skipppy's questions:

"Better out than in, that's what I always say."

Tyler said...

Missionaries are like onions...
They Smell bad? (No)
They make you cry? (Not always)

They have layers! Sounds like these ones are trying to shed some layers! :[], haha. (Emoticons attack!!! I think that i could make any side win, but I choose the good side.)

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

that boynip entry made me hungry. I would even eat cookies with bacon.

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

Can I get your Gardenweasel nip recipe for sugar cookies?

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

I always said that Donkey says, "Everybody love cafe."

NOT parfait.

I don't love cafe or even cafes.

The Kitchen Kook said...

Thanks for this marvelous recipe! It is soooo good. I'll update with a blog post. :)

The Kitchen Kook said...

I just put my post up, and I wanted to say again how delicious this recipe is! Thanks for sharing. They're all over the blogosphere now!

http://thekitchenkook.blogspot.com/2013/01/moist-banana-bars-with-brown-butter.html