Saturday, July 11, 2009

The One Where She is Slightly Out of Temper; or Whitney & Morgan’s Wedding Reception

Last night was Morgan and Whitney’s wedding reception. They looked amazing and happy... I made some beautiful and delicious food, and it was very fun. This morning I woke up at 6:45, and thought, “I should sleep in… but I hurt too much!” So I got up. Used the leftover blueberries to make a sauce for some homemade pancakes. Because I think this morning is the last time the missionaries will eat breakfast in our home. Yikes!

So anyway, here are some fun pictures from the wedding, and from the prep. Have you ever seen a chocolate tempering machine? When chocolate is “in temper” then hardens quickly and looks beautiful and glossy. Chocolate which is “out of temper” has a white “bloom” and a grainy texture. You know, like when you leave a Hershey bar in the sun, and then cool it down and try to eat it… not good. So this machine takes the guesswork out of tempering chocolate. Of course I have to push its limits… cook with danger. It is what I do.



Berries dipped in chocolate… rolled in toffee…


or mini chips. Or with M’s or W’s for Mo and Whitney.



The prime rib was a huge hit, as were my very attractive helpers for the evening. The twice-baked potatoes went over well. I am still never doing them again. Ever. Don’t ask me.









Also, check out this creation: I made chocolate meringues the night before, and then the morning of the wedding I whipped up some Callebaut (good brand of Belgian chocolate) mousse, and piped it onto the meringues. They were pretty tasty. I know, because that is what I ate for breakfast. (The breakfast of champions?)



Another fun thing was the mint lemonade. Whitney fell in love with mint lemonade during her summer nursing internship to Amman, Jordan. While I realize it would have been much tastier using fresh-squeezed lemons, this was very good even made with Minute Maid concentrate. I made a simple syrup the night before, using a couple of huge bunches of fresh mint, chopped. After they had steeped in the syrup for an hour, I strained out the mint, and we used the syrup in the lemonade, along with another huge bunch of fresh mint leaves in the jar. Very tasty.



If you want any of the recipes, let me know. Just don’t ask me for the recipe for the chocolate moussecake, strawberry cheesecake or key lime pie… you will have to ask Costco for those.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your fruit arrangement is stunning!

I am going to try that mint lemonade ASAP. Seriously. When are you going to come over and cook for me?

Looks like everything went well. I do miss the rush that comes when you pull off an event. Well done.

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

Who is that weird kid who stuck his head in that picture! Man, is he cute.

word verification: hodito, n, a little woman of the evening (more like twilight), or a small expression of Christmas cheer (e.g."ho, Merry!")

Jamie said...

The food presentation was lovely, the helpers worked hard & looked great, and it tasted DELICIOUS!!!

alpinekleins said...

Wow! Everything looks amazing and totally awesome - the best superlatives in my vocabulary:)

"the morning of the wedding I whipped up some Callebaut (good brand of Belgian chocolate) mousse,"

Could you "whip" me up a few of those - I'm having major stress chocolate cravings.

My wedding is August 1st and I feel like I'm a month behind.

Kristin

Nan said...

It was an amazing day with incredible food thanks to the food goddess Victoria McDaniel...not sure how we thank you enough other than to basically have no left overs after the event.

Unknown said...

the workers were the best and so handsome and giving.

Eric Petersen said...

This post made me hungry. Everything looked so good!!

Cindy said...

Oh, it all looks so fabulous! We were soooo sorry to miss it. My parents called at 2:30 and were leaving Wrightwood and coming to our house. They were exhausted and overwhelmed and needed some tlc. There was no way we could leave them.

I would love any and all recipes! So glad you are a recipe sharer.

Does this mean the missionaries have found a new place?

Cranberryfries said...

Oh my goodness that is all so so beautiful!! My mouth is watering. If I'm ever in town can I come have dinner at your house? ;-)

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

You know, I didn't try ONE bite of food that night. The pictures are making me wish I had.

I am thinking of throwing a party and having you cater, just to try the food.

Nan said...

PS... Can I have the mint lemonade recipe and the salad with fruit recipe?

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

can I have your prime rib recipe. Nevermind, can you make me prime rib?

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

Um....I know you have had company AND your power was out for a few hours but.....um, I am WAITING for some sparkling wit and resonating insights.

Jessica said...

You must be working hard on your music because this must be a record of time between posts.

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

POST SOMETHING.....man, it is like you are writing music with company or something.

too busy for the little people....

CB said...

How beautiful! The table display with the fruit is amazing. Prime Rib and 2x baked potatoes sound so yummy (but I did read that other post so I understand - wink).
I did not know that about chocolate. Well I knew it turned white but I didn't know there was anything that could be done. So cool!
You are really amazing and talented!!

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

ACK!! Still no new post....you are killing me

Cindy said...

Ditto w/Garden Weasel. Where are you these days?