Monday, July 27, 2009

The One With Thomas Tallis and the NY Times Crossword

Today is my dad’s birthday. He passed away back in October. I honestly don’t sit around feeling sad that he is gone. Sometimes I can’t quite believe that he isn’t just home sitting on his deck throwing things for his golden retriever Roxy to fetch, and that I just haven’t talked to him in awhile. But this week has been a little discouraging for me, and it would have been nice to call him and talk to him about it. He would have told me how great I am, and that it would all work out, and then… it would have. All worked out, that is. It will anyway, but it would have been nice to hear him say it. I wish I could ask him where I should go to fix the broken window in my living room. He would have known. He was an answerer, and a fixer.

When I was a kid, he would occasionally break me out of school (you know, like one breaks out of a prison). He would tell me that he thought I looked sick, and I needed some medicine. The “medicine” always turned out to be a big ice cream cone from Thrifty. Sometimes some good medicine is exactly the cure.

Everyone who knew my dad has stories about him. He loved stories, so he probably would be pretty happy about that. I was thinking to myself, I could tell a story about him. But when I think about Dad, I don’t think about a story. I think about the thousands of times that he showed me that he loved me, and that he thought I was amazing. “Vic, listen to this:” and he would want me to hear a part of a symphony that he thought was particularly beautiful. Or he would want me to just lie down next to him so that he could hold my hand or watch him do a crossword puzzle. Rather than remembering with a story, I think I will listen to Beethoven’s “Emperor Concerto” or “Fantasia on a Theme from Thomas Tallis” by Ralph Vaughan Williams. And maybe do a crazy-hard New York Times crossword puzzle. But not definitely not in pen…

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Beautiful. Beautiful. Sending warm fuzzies your way....

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

I miss him, too. I didn't even really know him. I did try to kill him but I do that to all of your family members. Dillon is here now. we will avoid the Costco pizza in the freezer

Fawn said...

Hang in there! Wonderful post.

The MomShell said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. Made me misty eyed. He must have been very proud of you. Thanks for asking about my missionary. He is doing much better and has actually put on a few pounds which is such a blessing. My few pounds...not so much a blessing lol.

Linda Mc B said...

This is exquisite. Just like all your music. It makes me want to make a list of the nice memories I have of my ninety year old dad and just reflect on those.
I'll need to listen to some Jimmy Rogers or Hawaiian music to get in the mood. Also, it was special to have your play on Sunday in ReSoc. It always is. What flavor of ice cream?

Stefany said...

What a sweet, sweet tribute. Made me miss my own dad...

CB said...

Those are sweet memories of what sounds like a very loving and wonderful father. You are one lucky girl.

Anonymous said...

I think we have to miss someone to really understand how much we love them.

Amanda @livetoloveandcraft.blogspot.com said...

He's such a great guy! I miss him too! Sometimes i expect to see him on the holidays like we used to. He is definitely missed! I hope you got your questions figured out and that you're doing better!

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

new post this month? maybe? Maybe some of your dad stories. Didn't he kill a cat? Did you post the sock story?

Erika said...

I totally understand! It's still so fresh for me and when I'm at my moms, I still expect him to walk through a room or tinker in the kitchen or at his workbench. My dad was the original google and Macgyver. I always needed his help. Why do we wait so long to understand and appreciate people important in our lives?