Saturday, January 16, 2010

The One With the Christmas Card Dilemma

I love Christmas cards. I love coming up with something cool and unique to send. I love addressing them. I love sending them. I love the people I send them to. I even try really really really hard not to make the “family letter” part too obnoxious or long. Even though, as you know, I love to make things really long and obnoxious.

This year was no exception. I found some awesome cards. They are from a place called photoworks.com and they open up into a really cool family tree poster with little photos of everyone on the tree. I must admit that there is no actual group family picture this year... it seems I could never get more than five of us together in the same place until Christmas day. But there are a lot of fun pictures on it, and I love the cards.

So, what is the problem? Was I late ordering the cards? No. I had them in my hot little hands by the second week of December. That was when I started to become rather overwhelmed. Busy. Crazy. A little bit lame. Diffuse. I gave Christmas cards to a couple of people to whom I was mailing gifts, and the remaining 90 or so are sitting in a box behind a curtain in my living room. I might add that these are not the 50-cents-a-card variety... they were my December splurge. Then New Year’s rolled around. Perfectly acceptable to call them New Year’s cards, right? And then the first of the year I kind of lost heart for a little while. Now that I am working on finding it again, those cards are just mocking me, because it is January 16th. I can’t even call them New Year’s cards at this point! Should I send some out? Open them all up into posters and paper a bathroom wall? Use them as gift wrap? Help!

P.S. If you are looking at the blog and it has this funky green and magenta background... I tried it on, and just had to leave it for a little while. It reminds me of that old Rock Hudson and Doris Day movie from decades ago... Pillow Talk. In the movie, she wants to get revenge for his womanizing, and so she redecorates his apartment like a brothel... very tacky and tasteless. I am not saying this background is exactly that, but it did put me in mind of that... like you should be able to push a button and you would get mood lighting and music, and a bed would appear out of the wall.

P.P.S. I am done with so much introspection, and back to occasional blogging, in case you hadn’t noticed. Thank you to many many people who e-mailed me to make sure I was still alive, and ask when I would post again. You are very kind.

11 comments:

Amy said...

My vote is send 'em anyway. (in all your spare time, right?)
Who cares when they go out. It will bother you more if they just sit there, especially since they were a splurge. Maybe someone can help you address them? (I would help but I'm in AZ, unless you want to mail them all to me and then I can do it for you.)
We missed the Christmas card opportunity too. Since we were moving right after Christmas, I turned ours into change of address cards. I have a friend that now only sends out Valentines cards.
Good luck!

Cindy said...

I hear you. I didn't send ours out either. Ran out of time. So....on to next year, I say!

Joy For Your Journey said...

Send them out. My sister never sends out cards until Valentines--after all that is a good time to send a little love to those we love anyway. :-)

Anonymous said...

No cards for me either. If you aren't online you are not on my list.

But go ahead and send them. Why not. There's no rule that says they have to be 'Christmas' cards.

AND...I am so so so glad you're back.

Love.

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

send em! I love cards and who cares that they went out a few weeks ago or next week? The card is the good part......

Gr8Life said...

I haven't sent mine yet I have them....It's just I wanted a family picture to put in them. Which has not happened yet. Maybe they will be Valentine's Day Card. Glad your back!

CB said...

I sent mine late too. Last week in fact. Sometimes you do what you gotta do! I vote you send them!!

alpinekleins said...

Hey, Valentines day is just around the corner. What a better way to express the 'love'? Almost EVERYONE can relate to the late Christmas card episode. I'm sure everyone will just love them. And let's face it - they probably haven't received any lately :)

Kristin

KMac said...

See, this whole late thing is catching on -- Like being fashionably late for a party.

Fawn said...

I would love to get a christmas card from last year! I thought I got missed! haha!!

Cranberryfries said...

I know I'm way late on weighing in but I'd say still send them. I have a friend who sends her cards randomly through the year. Once we got a Thanksgiving card from her, this last year we got a 'schools starting card'. She always explains in the letter that it's more fun to get them at all then never so she sends them when she's not busy. Sounds good to me!