Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The One Where She Kept Mopping Herself Into a Corner

Do you ever mop yourself into a corner? I do that whenever I mop. Which is, admittedly, not often enough. Then I have to figure out how to get out without muddying up the works. I tend to mop myself into the corner in other ways as well. For instance, lately I have been needing to finish up purchases to complete my home sound studio, and lacking the funds, I have felt like I was spinning my wheels. So what do I do? I buy something, and then figure out how to pay for it. DK is wishing I would stop doing that. Have you ever bought a swimsuit just so that you would have to shape up to fit into it by summer? Mopping yourself into a corner.

Many times I have come up with an idea for a business, and before I could talk myself out of it, have sent out flyers advertising it. But you know what? Mopping myself into a corner may not be a bad thing. It can be a way of committing myself to something. After I sent out the business flyers, you can bet I got busy figuring out how I was going to make it happen. It is, perhaps, my way of fighting procrastination, by forcing my own hand. If necessity is the mother of invention, then desperation is the mother of genius…right?

6 comments:

CB said...

We are soul sisters - I am famous for mopping myself into a corner, but you are right it gets you moving! I have done that with business ventures and even volunteer work - hee hee. My most recent:
We are so busy right now - just too many irons in the fire - but I promised my youngest he could have a BIG birthday party this year (as opposed to a smaller more doable event) and we planned the theme together. Now I am figuring out how and more importantly WHEN this will take place between weddings, baseball games,campouts, graduations, etc...It WILL happen though because I committed - I'm definately in the corner!

Della Hill said...

On the rare occasion that I mop, (honestly my hubby does it more than I do), I mop myself into a corner then walk backwards out of the corner and mop up my footprints as I go.
I love the last line about desperation being the mother of genius. Unfortunately for me desperation more often just ends up being the sourse of my own embarrassment one way or another.
-Della

RSM Text Factor Gurus said...

Maybe you need to start a mopping business.

I don't mop anymore and I don't have any creative ideas, either. I have a Scooba and a cleaning lady and a big streak of lazy (okay, I don't but it sounds more humble) about the floors.

If I can figure out a way to mop out of my volunteer commitments, I'd be golden. Cheri should let me know if she finds a way out...

Actually, I am totally lying. I like my volunteer jobs enough that I prefer them to real work and being home...um..mopping.

Anonymous said...

Constantly. It's all part of the drama queen package. We always do things for great effect.

alpinekleins said...

On of my many talents as well - ha!

Kristin

ps - ha! my word verification "monunchm" where do they come up with these things?? We could start a new whole topic making up definitions to go with the words . . .

Tyler said...

First off i can't even mop yet. I scrubbed my oven today for about an hour, still not done. that beats the 2 hours spent on the wall stained yellow over my oven, also not done. i have already blown through my magic erasers and haven't left the kitchen. Boo. i think that my mop is gross too.

On a better note I am going to have danced for 4 1/2 hours today. Becky is completely amazing at dancing!