Saturday, November 1, 2008

The One Where Sam Calls Me Grandma



Since Josh and Jessica are expecting their first baby in January, I am going to be a grandma in less than three months. Our friend Sam S. has taken to calling me Grandma.

When I took "Skippy" to his first day of kindergarten a couple of months ago, I thought I would be the oldest person there. Grandma with a kindergartner. People have a hard time wrapping their brains around that one. I have a perverse desire to explain it to them. It is like I woke up one day and and thought to myself, "Wow, wouldn't it be great if I could be nine months pregnant at my son's high school graduation?" And then, all my dreams came true... yes, not only was I nine months pregant, but I had pregnancy-induced hypertension, and was on bed rest. Kevin had to drop me off at the top of the stadium, where I immediately sat in my folding chair and reclined for the remainder of the evening. Good times! People told me that Skippy would never be close to his older siblings because they would all be gone and he wouldn't get to know them. That is not the case. Skippy loves his older brothers; he carries around pictures of them, receives letters from them, talks to them on the phone, and is very excited to be an uncle. Not only that, but he has a very flexible idea of family that grows to include missionaries that might live with us, as well as Jessi, his new favorite sister. "People" are not always right.

So back to kindergarten. I found that I was not the oldest parent. In fact, I may be in the bottom half. Maybe half the kids are being raised by their grandparents:).

No comments: